Food cravings is a boon to your weight loss pursuits.
Here, Dee Dee shares 2 tips on the science of weight loss. More during her Weight Loss Session in Murfest on ...
Equip yourself with the science of weight loss by Dee Dee Mahmood, a multi award winning Exercise Science Lecturer and Nutritionist and have an effective start to your New Year Resolution...you wont want to miss it!
Know why you have Food Cravings
1. You're not hungry - You're Thirsty!
Yes, thats the reason.
When you feel thirsty, it is already a long-awaiting scream for energy.
Your dry mouth and the feeling of being parched would be the sign of thirst where your brain tells you to eat something sweet or salty – for the fast energy that it provides.
- If you crave for food, sit down and have a big glass of water, then wait 20 minutes because that is how long your body needs to tell you for sure whether it is hungry or thirsty.
Consistently keep yourself hydrated with 2 to 2.4 litres of water per day (8-12 glasses) daily.
2. Protein for Satiety to beat Food Cravings
- Another way to fight off craving is to have protein like a handful of almonds or cacao nibbles. Cacao is high in protein and iron, and it has more zinc and Vitamin C too. The high levels of chromium in cacao reduces sugar cravings. The crunchiness and jaw movements in chomping it down tricks your brain into thinking it is having a fulfilling meal.
- Norwegian Salmon with its rich omega 3 helps in weight management by controlling ghrelin and leptin, the hormones of satiety and hunger. I eat mine at least 3 times per week.
Yours in health and happiness,
Dee Dee Mahmood